Pregnant woman drenched with black-coloured water in Jem restaurant
Patrons in a restaurant at Jem shopping mall were drenched after a water pipe in the ceiling burst, releasing a torrent of black-coloured water.
The incident occurred at around 8.45pm yesterday, Jun 4.
A woman, Sandra, who was dining at the restaurant sent photos and an account of the incident to citizen journalism website Stomp.
Diners splashed by waste water at Jem
A leaking kitchen waste pipe in Jem sent foul-smelling water pouring down on diners at the Din Tai Fung restaurant on Thursday evening. -- PHOTO: STOMP
A faulty ceiling pipe in the Jem shopping mall in Jurong East sent foul water raining down on two diners at the Din Tai Fung restaurant on Thursday evening.
The couple, who happened to be sitting under the pipe, were drenched by the downpour, according to an eyewitness.
"The pregnant lady let out a horrified scream, and they were both stunned for a few minutes," said a 28-year-old business owner who wanted to be identified only as Sandra.
Pregnant women drenched after burst pipe releases black-coloured water at JEM restaurant
Stomper Sandra was dining at restaurant in JEM shopping mall yesterday (Jun 4) at around 8.45pm when the unthinkable happened.
As she was eating, a water pipe in the ceiling burst. Black-coloured water started leaking and left some patrons in the restaurant drenched.
Said the Stomper in en email: "After the pipe burst, a torrent of black water gushed out and drenched a pregnant lady sitting directly below the burst pipe.
More drama at Jem mall: Salad shop flooded for the second time
17 Apr 2015
A salad shop in Jem mall in Jurong was flooded on Thursday evening (Apr 16).
An employee of Saladworks, which is on the second floor of the Jurong East mall, said that the flood occurred at about 4.40pm, and that "water just started coming from the pipe".
She said she believed that units directly below the shop were also affected.
Fire breaks out at Jem shopping mall, no injuries reported
A fire broke out near the H&M boutique at JEM shopping mall at Jurong East on Friday night (Apr 3 2015)
The Singapore Civil Defence Force (SCDF) said the blaze on the first level had started from electrical wires in the exterior wall of the building. No one was hurt in the incident.
Mr JM Koh, who sent in photos and videos of the fire, said there was no evacuation from the mall, although a fire alarm had gone off at a McDonald’s fast food outlet opposite H&M. When he chanced upon the scene at about 10.10pm, a crowd of “about 50 people" had gathered.
This is the latest in a string of fires at JEM. In August 2013, a deep fryer caused a small blaze at the NTUC FairPrice Xtra supermarket, and a car caught fire in the basement car park days later. In September that year, false ceiling panels on the first floor collapsed due to a burst water pipe, injuring three people, and causing the mall to be temporarily shut for checks.
Ceiling at Jem mall looks like it's about to collapse due to water accumulating there
28 Dec 2014
Stomper alamat was concerned to see the state of this ceiling at Jem shopping mall at around 10pm yesterday (Dec 27)
Water has accumulated in one section of the ceiling and the weight of it seems to be pulling the ceiling down.
Said the Stomper: "Jem ceiling is collapsing. "Water has somehow gathered in one section of the ceiling.
Shoppers get caught in 'rain' inside Jem after suspected sprinkler malfunction
17 Jun 2014
A suspected fire sprinkler malfunction in Jem earlier today (Jun 17) at around 12.45pm has flooded the first floor of the mall, surprising shoppers with sudden indoor rain.
Stompers on the scene sent in photos and a video of the sprinklers dousing the mall with mist as well as the flood.
According to Stomper Audrey, the sprinklers have since been shut off and staff are trying to clear the flood water.
Glass door at Jurong mall shatters
29 Nov 2013
A glass door at Jurong East's Jem mall shattered on Friday night - the latest in a string of incidents to befall the shopping mall.
Located on the first floor next to clothing retailer H&M, a third of the glass partition shattered into smaller pieces. The mall's spokesman said no one was hurt, and that the glass has since been cleaned up and the area cordoned off.
Since its June opening, the mall has had a few hiccups. Its opening was delayed by four days due to a lack of fire permits. On Aug 14, three FairPrice staff were hurt after a deep fryer caught fire. Four days later, a car burst into flames in the mall's carpark.
Jem shopping mall in Jurong East hit by 11-hour power failure
22 Mar 2014
First, there were fires. Then a ceiling fell in. And on Friday, Jem shopping mall was hit by a power cut which lasted 11 hours.
A media statement by Jem said some retailers on the third level and basement one of the Jurong East shopping centre were affected, and that a technical team attended to the power failure immediately.
The disruption occurred from around 7am to 6pm, according to Chinese daily Lianhe Zaobao.
Shoppers at Jem evacuated after Nissan saloon in carpark catches fire
17 Aug 2013
Thousands of shoppers at Jem had to be evacuated on Saturday afternoon at around 2.00pm after a car caught fire in the basement carpark of the mall in Jurong East.
The owner of the silver Nissan Sunny saloon declined comment but the Singapore Civil Defence Force (SCDF) said the fire was extinguished by the mall's sprinkler system and security officers before fire-fighters arrived at the scene.
IT consultant Shirley Yong, 36, who was shopping at the mall said: "We heard the fire alarm but didn't know what was going on because we couldn't hear the announcement. But I could smell smoke."
Two employees hurt in FairPrice store fire at Jem mall
14 Aug 2013
Two employees manning the Ready-to-Eat counter at the NTUC FairPrice Xtra store in Jem shopping centre suffered burns on their forearms when a deep fryer caught fire on Wednesday (Aug 14) morning.
A FairPrice spokesman said that the fire started at 10.30am and triggered the alarm, activating the fire sprinkler in that area of the store. Customers and staff were evacuated.
The Singapore Civil Defence Force (SCDF) and emergency vehicles arrived in eight minutes, reports The Straits Times.
Another fire at JEM: Shoppers and workers forced to evacuate
17 Aug 2013
A second fire has broken out at JEM, forcing shoppers and workers to evacuate the mall today (Aug 17 2013).
Earlier this week on Aug 14, two employees manning the Ready-to-Eat counter at the mall's NTUC FairPrice Xtra suffered burns after a deep fryer caught fire.
STOMPers Dave and Emily both contributed pics and comments about the blaze, while Instagram and Twitter have been awash with photos and comments, as collated by STOMPer Rachel.
Another JEM jinx: Ceiling collapses, shops flooded
19 Sep 2013
In the latest in a string of jinxes to hit Jurong East's JEM mall, a burst water pipe caused a stretch of ceiling on the first floor to collapse at about 10.15 pm yesterday (Sep 18).
Three people are believed to have been injured due to the incident, and the mall will remain closed for the rest of today (Sep 19).
Nine STOMPers who were at the scene when the incident happened sent in photos to STOMP, and said that the water gushing out from the pipe flooded the shops as well.
Jem finally opens for business after four-day delay
16 Jun 2013
Jem, the newest and third-largest suburban mall here, finally opened its doors on Saturday morning after having been mired in a four-day delay.
But it was a case of better late than never with some people arriving as early as the night before, camping overnight in a bid to secure store promotions throughout the 818,000 sq ft of retail space that is home to 241 shops, including big brand names such as Marks & Spencer, Sephora and Topshop/Topman.
Lines were also seen wrapping around the new Jurong mall's main entrance from 6am, where more patrons jostled to be among the first thousand to enter and be eligible for limited $10 shopping vouchers.
Incidents at Jem Shopping Mall (裕廊东广场)
- Jem's official opening was initially to be on 11 June 2013 . Due to tenant permit issues, the opening of the mall was delayed. It was reported that none of units in Jem applied for a Fire Safety Certificate or Temporary Fire Permit (TFP) from the Singapore Civil Defence Force (SCDF) On 15 June 2013, the mall was finally opened.
- On 14 August 2013, three employees manning the Ready-to-Eat counter at the NTUC FairPrice Xtra store in Jem shopping centre suffered minor burns when a deep fryer caught fire at about 10.30 am. Customers and staff were evacuated from the FairPrice Xtra store. The fire was put out by the sprinklers in the store.
- On 17 August 2013, a car caught fire at the Basement 2 carpark area of Jem at about 2.20 pm, causing the evacuation of all staff and patrons from the mall. The fire was put out by the sprinklers in the mall
False ceiling collapse
- Three people were injured after part of the first-floor ceiling of the mall collapsed on the night of 18 September 2013.
Glass door breaks
- A glass door at Jurong East's Jem mall shattered on the evening of Nov 29 2013
- A media statement by Jem said some retailers on the third level and basement one of the Jurong East shopping centre were affected by an 11-hour power failure on Mar 21 2014.
- At about 1pm on 17 June 2014, there was a malfunction with the water sprinkler.
Burst Ceiling Pipe
- On the evening of 4 June 2015 at around 8.45pm, a burst ceiling pipe sent foul water raining down on two diners at the Din Tai Fung restaurant, the leak was from a kitchen.