What causes excessive belching or burping and how can you prevent it? Occasional belching or burping is normal and nothing to worry about. But persistent belching and burping could indicate underlying digestive system disorders.
“In most instances, burping is due to excess air intake. By making simple lifestyle changes, you can help control stomach wind and alleviate the discomfort of belching,” says doctors from the Department of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Singapore General Hospital (SGH), a member of the SingHealth group.
7 tips to prevent excessive belching and burping:
- Eat and drink slowly to avoid swallowing excess air.
- Avoid talking when you chew.
- Avoid sucking on hard candy.Cut down on carbonated drinks and beer. These drinks release carbon dioxide gas which may worsen belching and burping.
- Don’t use straws. Drink beverages, especially carbonated drinks, directly from a glass.
- Stop smoking. Inhaling cigarette smoke results in excess swallowed air.
- If you wear dentures, get them checked to make sure they are well fitting.
- Manage your stress. Excess tension can cause you to swallow air.