Saturday, 30 August 2014

Elderly in the News

80-year-old man charged with murdering daughter-in-law at Tampines flat

Char Chin Fah is said to have caused Madam Ong Guat Leng's death between 9am and 10.04am on Thursday, at her home in Block 440, Tampines Street 43

Char Chin Fah, 80, has been charged today (Aug 22) with the murder of his daughter-in-law, Madam Ong Guat Leng, The Straits Times reported.

The 54-year-old victim was killed on Thursday morning (Aug 21) after a heated argument at her flat at Block 440, Tampines Street 43.

Char turned himself in to the police.

read more

80-year-old murder suspect to be remanded for psychiatric assessment

One of the oldest homicide suspects in the Republic, who allegedly murdered his daughter-in-law last week, will be remanded for psychiatric assessment.

Char Chin Fah, 80, is alleged to have caused the death of 54-year-old Ong Guat Leng on the morning of Aug 21, between 9am and 10.04am, at the Tampines Street 43 flat they shared.

Ong was discovered lying in a pool of blood by one of her two daughters. Char was arrested when he turned himself in at Bedok North Neighbourhood Police Centre, shortly after the police received a call about the case.

read more

Granny loses tooth after men force their way into flat and beat her up

One man kept kicking and punching the helpless granny, while the other filmed the attack on his phone.

The bizarre beating began after the men barged into the woman's Admiralty Road third-floor flat at about 2pm yesterday.

The 62-year-old woman's daughter, Ms Michelle, who declined to give her full name, told Lianhe Wanbao: "My 12-year-old daughter and nine-year-old son had just come home from school and before they could lock the door, the two men barged in.

Woman, 75, detained for conservancy fee arrears

A woman in her 70s was detained and summoned to court for owing $411 in conservancy fees, Shin Min Daily News reported yesterday.

Madam Lee, who lives in Lengkok Bahru, told Shin Min that she received the summons two weeks ago. She could not read English and had to ask a friend to translate it.

She is accused of owing the Tanjong Pagar Town Council $411 in conservancy fees, and can be fined $1,000 if found guilty. According to the town council, Madam Lee has been late many times, and usually only paid when issued a court letter.

Elderly woman detained for not paying S&C charges

She owed the Tanjong Pagar Town Council $411 in conservancy fees – and was issued a summons to appear in court.

According to My Paper, Mdm Lee – who is 75-years old – received the summons two weeks ago. However, Mdm Lee said that she seldom opens her letterbox, and had had to ask a friend to read the letter to her as she can’t read English.

The newspaper said Mdm Lee, who lives in Lengkok Bahru, surrendered herself to the police this month and was detained for two days after she declined to post bail which was offered to her.

76 years old lady begged Hri Kumar to help her get CPF money back

The 76 year old spinster must have been frugal enough to set aside a portion of her teacher salary to pay for her terrace house, assuming she owns the property. Decades ago, such units could have been selling at a fraction of present day prices. A friend sold off her father's spacious house at the old teacher's estate after he passed on, and could only afford a tiny condominium unit with the proceeds.

She's not the only one who is asset rich, cash poor. Plaintively, the senior citizen had begged, "“What I want is my money back and I want to arrange for my funeral and I want to arrange for my rice and I want to arrange for a nice settlement." She articulated what we now see as a truism, the three letters for our retirement money spell Coffin Provision Fund.

“That’s all I want. Give me back my money. CPF, give me back my money. And make it as soon as possible. Because 76, I won’t be able to live (too long),” she added. If we are in her shoes, we too would like to spend the final hours on our own bed, rather than the tented facilities of our overcrowded public hospitals.

read more


The cleaning companies of Singapore working at Changi Airport use Singaporean old lady for heavy duty work.

She is 85 years old and I really felt sorry for her on my departure at the airport.

I asked her why she is struggling with the heavy thrash in the departure hall and she said this is her part-time work for the airport. I found out it is the Cleaning Solutions Singapore company and ISS cleaning company using her services.

Retiree 77, fine, driving ban for causing death of pedestrian

A 77-year-old male retiree was fined S$7,000 and banned from driving for five years this morning (Aug 26) at the State Courts for causing the death of a pedestrian through his negligence.

Willie Chan York Jen, pleaded guilty to causing the death of 75-year-old Mr Mohamed Ibrahim Yusoff while driving along Lorong 2 Toa Payoh at the cross junction of Lorong 6 Toa Payoh on Dec 21 last year.

At about 5.45pm that day, Chan had been driving along Lorong 2 Toa Payoh and heading towards the Pan Island Expressway (PIE) on his way home after playing badminton with friends at Toa Payoh West Community Centre, located at Lorong 2 Toa Payoh.

read more

60-year-old Kindergarten principal took more than $37,000

A 60-year-old kindergarten principal has been charged with multiple counts of criminal breach of trust.

Lee Ooi Chun was said to have committed the offences between 2009 and last year.The six charges that she faced involved amounts of more than $37,000.

Lee, the principal of a PAP Community Foundation (PCF) kindergarten centre in Ang Mo Kio, had allegedly used the cash collected in the school.

read more

Elderly woman injured after tree falls on taxi stand
The 70-year-old woman suffered cuts on her forehead and was sent via ambulance to Changi General Hospital

A large tree fell on top of a taxi stand in Marine Parade on Thursday (Aug 21) morning, injuring a 70-year-old woman.

The Singapore Civil Defence Force (SCDF) says it was alerted at 10:28am. The incident took place at Block 54 Marine Terrace, and the elderly Chinese woman suffered cuts on her forehead. She was sent via ambulance to Changi General Hospital.

Twitter user Serina Tan posted pictures of the aftermath, saying "Big tree collapsed suddenly, shattering taxi stand

read more