07/10/2020

An invisible disability that other people can’t see

What People Don't See When I Walk Into an Elevator

Today I got a chance to go shopping with a close friend of mine. She was taking me out shopping because we weren’t able to celebrate my birthday due to the coronavirus closing the mall.

Many counties in our state have gone to the green phase. We donned our masks and headed to the mall. The issue began with a sign at the elevator indicating it was for people with strollers and wheelchairs. I had neither aa stroller or a wheelchair, however, I have an invisible disability and need to use the elevator.

The visual perception part of my learning disability makes using an escalator very difficult. The moving steps make it difficult for me to know when to step down. People will often tell me to just step down. The constant movement of the steps and my lack of eye-hand coordination make it difficult to coordinate the movement. I have found using the elevator or steps to be more beneficial when I shop. I prefer steps, and as long as I am careful on the stairs, I can use them.

read more