04/11/2020

I Gave Up Sugar For an Entire Month

And Here's What Happened

My last name is Sugar, and all my friends call me Sugar, so it came as a surprise to them that I decided to give it up for my New Year's resolution. I know I have a pretty intense sugar addiction, so I've had spells where I've cut down on sugar. But this time was different.

It all started last year. I had just started CrossFit and was unnaturally nervous about it. My stomach started acting up and I attributed it to either anxiety or a crazy stomach bug from the gym. But three weeks passed and I didn't feel any better.

I went to the doctor and told her I felt fine when I woke up, but as soon as I started eating, my symptoms would flare up again. And by the evening, I was keeled over on the couch, with crazy stomach pains and bloating, convinced it was a three-foot tapeworm. She performed tons of blood tests, stool tests, and I even had my first rectal exam (a good time made even better by the fact that I had to bring my 4- and 6-year-olds along!). I got tested for gluten intolerance and parasites, but she came back with acid reflux. WTH! My symptoms were down low, not up high. But to appease her, I took meds for a week, just to tell her that they didn't work. She was flabbergasted. I asked, "Could it be something I'm eating?" She showed little interest, leaving me by saying, "I don't know; maybe experiment with your diet."

read more