31/10/2021

What Would Confucius Say About Singapore’s Filial Piety?


“I don’t mind giving my parents an allowance,” said one RICE producer. “What I dislike is the expectation that I must give them an allowance in order to be considered a good daughter.” “I wouldn’t want my future children to deal with the same pressure.”

“For me, it’s very simple lah,” said another RICE colleague. “The parental allowance isn’t just an expectation, but a duty. Honouring our filial duties towards parents is the only thing separating humans from beasts.” This was followed by an awkward silence as they glared at each other from across the conference table. Then, in unison, they turned and looked at me.

“So obviously, Singaporeans feel very strongly about this issue,” I offered. What else could I say? It was none of my business.