29/06/2021

High society, high fashion

Is this Singapore’s most flamboyant style maven?
"I suppose my interest in fashion is innate,” says society doyenne Susanna Kang. (Photo: Freestate Productions)

If there is one mantra that society fixture Susanna Kang lives by, its “drama or pyjamas.” By day, you’ll find her kicking back in comfy oversized shirts and shorts. By night, she’s turning heads on the red carpet in one of her many over-the-top outfits that she considers pieces of art.

“My collection is wearable art. It’s about celebrating whichever phase you are at. I suppose when I got on later in life, I got very adventurous and even more daring,” admitted Kang, who is in her 50s.

There’s no room for insipid ensembles in her eclectic wardrobe, which is filled with whimsical get-ups from feathery headpieces to dramatic capes. “When I was a child, fashion didn’t matter because it was all hand-me-downs. But even with whatever was given to me, I tried to put the pieces together in a very ‘my way’. I was mismatching all the prints. I was just having fun and doing what I thought was fashionable. I suppose my interest in fashion is innate,” she said.