This is not true.
Melamine food wares have a history of safe use. There have been no scientific reports on adverse health effects associated with the use of melamine food wares. When properly used, the level of migration of melamine from food wares is insignificant or very low, and do not pose a health risk to the public.
The Agri-Food & Veterinary Authority (AVA) advises the following on the use of melamine food ware:
- Do not heat or cook food in melamine food ware
- Do not use melamine food ware in microwave oven or conventional oven
- Do not use serrated knives on melamine food ware
- Do not use melamine food ware that is damaged on its surface
- Do not use harsh abrasive cleaners, steel wool or metal scouring pads to clean melamine food ware
- Use melamine food ware according to the manufacturer’s instructions, if any