28/04/2014

A trip to the Mama shop

Snack Attack at the Mama Shop
The Mama shop – an important part of childhood

Choki-Choki – the smooth chocolate paste you squeeze out from a plastic tube

The No. 8: a memorable tasty treat

A tempting array of childhood snacks

The first thing that hits me is the smell. There’s that unmistakable hint of curry mixed with, oddly enough, chocolate. Once I get past the smell, the colours grab my attention. Swirls of red, flashes of green, bolts of blue and other colours merge, creating one giant kaleidoscope that has me transfixed and spoilt for choice.

“Girl, what you want?” a voice barked.

And the spell was broken. I looked up and the grumpy shopkeeper and his equally grumpy wife were staring at me expectantly. Both looked at me as if I were a pest, and probably a non-paying customer. Then again, when you’re only seven, you’re not much of a paying customer.