Friday, 3 May 2013

Burnt by mystery liquid in trains and bus stop

Police investigating "acid burn" cases

Police said they are investigating the recent cases involving unknown substances left on seats in public areas 

A nurse was warded on Thursday with a burn injury, after sitting on what is believed to be acid, on an SMRT train.

On April 22, a teenager was burnt after sitting on an unknown substance at a bus stop at Bukit Batok.

Police told Channel NewsAsia they are not ruling out that these two cases could be linked. 

read more

People burnt by unknown substances: Cases could be linked, say police

The recent cases of people getting burnt by corrosive chemicals at public areas could be connected

The police told The Straits Times on Friday night that they are investigating the cases, and are not "ruling out the possibility" of them being linked.

In the past two weeks, there have been two such incidents. On Thursday, a 24-year old nurse, Ms Wan Zahfirah Arshad, had her left buttock burnt by a corrosive substance on a train seat.

She has been treated at the Singapore General Hospital (SGH) and the spokesman said her condition is stable.

read more

Nurse suffers burn injury after sitting on unknown substance in train


A nurse has been hospitalised with a burn injury after sitting on an unknown substance in an SMRT train. She was on the North-bound train towards Jurong East at around 11am on Thursday when the incident happened.

Twenty-four-year-old Wan Zahfirah Arshad got off the train when a tingling pain on her buttocks became too much to bear. She then noticed a yellowish substance on her clothes.

It was only when she got home that she noticed that she had suffered burns on her left buttock.

read more

Nurse burnt by substance on train seat



A NURSE yesterday suffered burns on her left buttock after sitting on an unknown substance in a public area - the second such incident in two weeks.

Ms Wan Zahfirah Arshad, 24, was on a north-bound SMRT train heading towards Jurong East at 11am when she sat on what could have been acid.

After alighting, she experienced an unbearable tingling sensation and noticed a yellow substance on her clothes

read more

Chemical burn claims third victim: vigilance needed 

A 24-year-old nurse has become the third victim of chemical burns from sitting on an unknown substance (ST, Nurse Burnt by substance on train seat, Mar 3). Wan Zahfirah Arshad was taking the north-bound train on the North-South line at 11am yesterday when the incident happened.

TODAY also reported that she suffered third-degree burns to her left buttock and was warded at the Singapore General Hospital. Third-degree burns are considered severe.

The apparent acid attack follows a similar incident on April 14, when a 14-year-old student suffered chemical burns from sitting on an unidentified substance at a bus stop along Bukit Batok East Ave 3. Last year, another woman suffered chemical burns, also on the north-bound train on the North-South line.

read more

Boy's thigh burned by 'oily liquid' on Bukit Batok bus stop seat


A teenage boy has reportedly suffered second-degree burns on his right thigh after sitting on a pool of oily liquid on a bus stop seat in Bukit Batok. The student, School of Science and Technology student Aung Phone Naing, went to hospital for treatment and was told he may also have suffered nerve damage.

A similar incident involving a Malaysian woman occurred in March last year. She had similarly been burned by an unidentified liquid on the MRT, leaving her with burns on her buttocks.

According to a report in The Straits Times Online, he had decided to sit at the bus stop while waiting for a bus to take him to school on Wednesday morning (Apr 17) as his schoolbag was heavy.

read more

Boy burned by corrosive 'liquid' on seat of Bukit Batok bus stop


A teenage boy suffered second-degree burns on his right thigh after sitting on what could have been acid at a bus stop in Bukit Batok. When School of Science and Technology student Aung Phone Naing finally went to hospital, he was told he may have also suffered nerve damage. But tests failed to reveal what he sat on.

"I am confused that there is no answer. I'm worried that this would leave a mark on my leg," he told The Straits Times.

While waiting for a bus to take him to school on Wednesday morning, he decided to sit down as his schoolbag was heavy.

read more

Woman's butt burned by mystery liquid on seat of MRT train

A 27-year-old Malaysian woman sustained a burn wound on her buttocks after she sat on a wet seat on board an MRT last Saturday (Mar 24).

The unknown liquid on the seat left her with a 7cm wound. The woman, known only as Ms Law, works as a hairdresser in Tiong Bahru. She had been on her way home to Yishun at the time, and had boarded the northbound train at Raffles Place Station.

She said she spotted an empty seat and proceeded to sit on it, but switched seats immediately after she felt a wet spot on her pants. Less than a minute later, Ms Law felt a burning sensation on her buttocks, which quickly intensified and became a searing pain.

She alighted at Dhoby Ghaut Station to check and found a burn wound, about the size of her palm, on her right buttock. She was so shocked by what she saw that she started crying. 


read more

Woman's buttocks burned on the MRT


MRT commuters should take care where they choose to sit. Ms Law, a 27-year-old hairdresser, was taking the MRT last Saturday evening when she found one side of her buttocks burned by a pool of liquid left on a seat.

According to Lianhe Wanbao, Ms Law had boarded the northbound train at Raffles Place MRT at about 9.30pm on 24 March, to make her way home to Yishun. Sitting down on an empty seat in the train, she quickly noticed that her pants felt wet.

Thinking that it was just spilt water, she paid it no mind and moved to another empty seat across the aisle. Less than a minute later, she felt burning sensations on her buttocks. Unaware of the cause of the discomfort, she decided to bear with it.

read more

Liquid on train seat burned my buttock, says woman (The Straits Times, 28 March 2012, Pg B03)


When contacted, an SMRT spokesman said the public transport operator had also informed police about the case.

She added: “We are sorry about Ms Law’s experience. We have been calling her since the incident to make sure she is fine, and to find out how this might have happened.”

Ms Law, who is on medical leave for 10 days, said she was told by the doctor that the palm-size wound was a result of the skin coming into contact with a chemical substance. The doctor also told her that she may need a skin graft if the wound does not heal properly.

read more

Beautician seeks compensation from SMRT


A beautician is seeking compensation from SMRT to fix her burnt skin after she sat on corrosive substance on a train. She intends to use the money to pay for laser surgery and restore her former ‘beauty’.

The 27 year-old woman, known only as Ms Liu, said that on 24 March, she sat on a seat that had been splashed with a corrosive substance and suffered third degree burns to her buttocks as a result.

Although it has been four months since the incident, her skin is still recovering and she has to go to the hospital every month to get it checked.

read more

related:
Rise in major breakdowns but MRT gets more reliable
Two SMRTstaff killed by an oncoming train
Train disruptions under new Minister of Transport
Train service disrupted on N-S, E-W Lines
Recap of recent Train service disruptions
Recent Train Disruptions
Transport Woes #2
Transport Woes #1
Transport Woes - A Picture Story
Mixed Reactions To Announcement Of Free MRT Rides
Strange & inappropriate behaviour on public transport
Burned by mystery liquid in trains and bus stop
SMRT subway trains recalled after defects found